Sunday, February 15, 2009

Granada in a few words and many pictures

Last weekend, I visited Granada with a group from my prgram. Like the title says, this post is going to be mostly just pictures. The reason? Because, in this situation, words simply don't cut it. Sure, I could tell you all about everything we did in the fascinating city in excruciating detail but I still would not even be able to get any where near the actual experience. The highlight, obviously, was the breath-taking Alhambra. Sorry, but really it is just something you have to see for yourself. But for now you have my pictures!
But first, a few words to give you an idea of my time in Granada that were not captured in picture form:
-we went in the Capilla Real and saw the tombs of Ferdinand and Isabel. You know, THE Ferdinand and Isabella. Their bodies. Or, you know..what used to be their bodies... or whatever. Crazy stuff.
-we got offered weed brownies on the street. (it is a veryyyyy hippie-ish town)
-we drank warm and fragrant exotic tea in a dark corner of a tetería
-
we toured the Alhambra at 8:30 am, after 1 hour of sleep!

and now...pictures!
the street that reminded me of the market in Aladdin (sorry, it is a bad picture but I was walking haha)


Lauren and I in the Alhambra
view from inside the "summer palace" of the Alhambra
Granada!!
English majors in front of Washington Irving's room in the Alhambra
amaaaazing ceiling in the Alhambra
The Alhambra!
view of the city
tower that was built in 900 AD
The Alhambra from afar. Fun Fact: the whole thing was built in 5 years around 1100 ( i think?)
Part of the Alhambra with the Sierra Nevada mountains behind

My time in Granada was super fun, but visiting another city just made me love Sevilla even more. But it was definitely wonderful to see more of Spain and Granada's intense Moorish influences were fascinating and new.

I will be back sometime in the near future to tell you all about my new classes!

xoxo

1 comment:

Steph said...

So cool. Period.
I can't wait to get there myself, but I think your pictures were pretty good! I bet sevilla missed you too!

p.s. I love that coat on you :-P